by Pastor Ben Holden
Can you believe the Christmas season is upon us again already? I love this time of year. The sights, the sounds, and the smells are second to none. As a dad, I am more and more cognizant of the importance of my children understanding what Christmas is about and celebrating the the birth of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. One of the best ways to turn the hearts of my children (and myself!) toward a proper celebration of Christmas is through the celebration of Advent, a time of expectant waiting for the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
Below you will find a list of family Advent devotion guides.
I wanted to offer a fair number so that you can find one to fit your family this year and to have additional options to keep things fresh for years to come. I have found that engaging in a time of family devotions around Advent during the month of December paired with the use of an Advent wreath with candles makes the season that much more focused and meaningful.
Here are some great options that I would recommend:
- Advent Family Devotions by Faith at Home – A 4-week devotional with connection points for all ages. Available as a download or as a digital flip book.
- LifeWay Family Kids Advent Guide – A very basic 4-week devotional with daily scripture readings. Available as a PDF.
- Good News of Great Joy by John Piper and Desiring God – 25 daily readings leading up to Christmas. Available as a PDF or for purchase.
- Come, Let Us Adore Him: A Daily Advent Devotional by Paul David Tripp – Paul David Tripp is a favorite author of ours. He is masterful at pointing everything toward the gospel. Available for purchase only.
- This Is the Christmas Story by She Reads Truth/He Reads Truth – Includes family discussion starters. Written for ages 4-9. Available for purchase only.
- Where the Light Shines Brightest by the Billy Graham Center for Evangelism – A 25-day devotional intended to help all of us begin to imagine how this Advent season, and our own personal reflection on the birth of Jesus Christ, can inform, and even transform, our desire and passion to show and share this good news with a broken and hurting world. Available as a PDF.
- Jesus Storybook Bible Advent Calendar Printables, Ornaments, + Reading Plan by Faith Gateway – 24 days of daily Bible readings leading up to Christmas that corresponds with the stories in The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones (an excellent resource that we know many of you use). This is especially great for younger kids. Available as a free PDF download.
- Tell the Story: An Advent Devotional by Family Church – 30 devotionals with 5 family devotionals written by our friends Jimmy Scroggins and the pastors and leaders of Family Church in West Palm Beach, FL. Available for purchase only.
- The Donkey in the Living Room by Sarah Raymond Cunningham – A Holden family favorite of 9 days of stories based around the members in the nativity. We read the entire book on Christmas Eve as we place the members of the nativity in their spots with the reading of each story. It has proven to be a great reminder of what we are celebrating right before bed. Available for purchase only.